Common Questions

"A joyful heart is good medicine but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." - Prov 17:22

Common FAQs for People Considering Homeopathy:

  • Q: Where can I find a qualified homeopath?
    A: Bay Area locals can contact the Bay Area Homeopathy Association (BAHA) for a referral. If cost is a concern, they also offer a Low Cost Clinic Directory. We suggest you choose a classical homeopath who is qualified to treat you. Indications of qualification vary from country to country. In the USA, these include certification through the Council for Homeopathic Certification and/or having attained Registered status through the North American Society of Homeopaths. Internationally there is one overarching body, Association for International Homeopathic Certification, and there are organizations in every country.

  • Q: Are homeopathic remedies a substitute for traditional medical care?
    A: No.  Homeopathy treatments are alternative or complimentary to the conventional health care services licensed by the State of California, but not a substitute.

  • Q: Should I tell my primary care practitioner about any homeopathic treatments I may be considering taking?
    A: Yes.  You should tell your licensed primary health care providers about any homeopathy treatments  before you begin to take them to insure coordinated and safe care for your particular circumstance.

  • Q: Are there healthcare services that a homeopathic practitioner can't provide?
    A: Yes.  Homeopathy treatments are "alternative" or "complimentary" to conventional health care services licensed by the State, but not a substitute. If homeopathic treatments are used in place of conventional medicine, it is considered, "alternative."  If homeopathic treatments are used together with conventional medicine, it is considered "complimentary." In either case, you should not use homeopathy as a replacement for proven conventional medical care or to postpone seeing a licensed health care provider about a medical problem. Under the California Medical Practice Act (California Business and Professions Code Sections 2053.5 and 2053.6), trained individuals may offer alternative or complimentary homeopathic treatment services so long as they do not provide the type of medical services provided by licensed physicians and surgeons. Here are the things that unlicensed alternative practitioners are NOT allowed to do:
       * Perform any form of surgery or any procedure that punctures your skin or harmfully invades your body; 
       *Use X-ray radiation; Prescribe prescription drugs, or recommending that you discontinue
           drugs that were prescribed by a licensed physician;
       *Set fractures; 
       *Treat wounds with electrotherapy; 
       *Put you at risk of great bodily harm, serious physical or mental illness, or death; 
       *Imply in any way that they are licensed physicians. 

  • Q: What should I do if I think I need immediate assistance?
    A: If you are experiencing a medical emergency or require immediate health care assistance, call 911 or go directly to the nearest emergency room (if reasonably safe to do so).

  • Q: What paperwork must be completed to receive services?
    A: This varies from one office to another. Generally, after the initial consult and before your initial meeting, clients are sent an intake form to complete, sign and bring in with you (do not email - that is not secure). In California, such an intake form includes important Patient Disclosures (required under California Business and Profession Code Sections Sections 2053.5 and 2053.6) and you will be entitled to receive a copy (signed).  Your professional homeopath provider will maintain the original signed copy for at least three years.

  • Q: Are homeopathic remedies "drugs"?
    A: Homeopathy remedies are considered to be drugs under applicable federal law and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the manufacture, marketing and sales of homeopathic remedies.

  • Q: Do homeopaths accept health insurance or support claim submissions?
    A: Generally, no, where insurers generally do not cover homeopathic treatment, such as in the USA. In countries where homeopathy is covered, this may be possible.

  • Q: Where can I find out more, prior to a visit with a homeopath?
    A: For an excellent discussion of Classical Homeopathy, visit the North American Society of Homeopaths; for more on its safety and efficacy, visit the British Homeopathic Association; and for a history of the treatment of epidemics with homeopathy, visit the National Center for Homeopathy.